Glaucoma is defined as a group of eye diseases that cause damage to the optic nerve. In most cases, it is a result of pressure on the eyes that can lead to permanent vision loss and blindness. If you have glaucoma, it is important to see ours optometrist at Total Vision of Port Orange in Port Orange, FL, for proper diagnosis and treatment.
What Are the Symptoms of Glaucoma?
The symptoms of glaucoma depend on the type. There are two types of this disease: acute angle-closure glaucoma and open-angle glaucoma. With open-angle glaucoma, you may not have any symptoms until vision loss occurs, while acute angle-closure glaucoma is characterized by certain early signs that should not be ignored, such as the following:
- Blurred or hazy vision, which is common in the early or moderate states
- Eye pain, which may be experienced pain around your eyes and head
- Vomiting or nausea that are usually accompanied by eye pain
- Eye redness that results due to increased eye pressure
What Causes Glaucoma?
While glaucoma results due to pressure in the eyes, the exact cause of the pressure is not known. However, the following factors might also contribute to the development of glaucoma:
- Restricted or blocked drainage in the eyes
- Certain medications, including corticosteroids
- Reduced or insufficient blood flow to the optic nerve
- High blood pressure
How Is Glaucoma Treated?
Glaucoma cannot be cured, but there are effective treatment options that can preserve your vision. Our optometrist will probably recommend one of the following treatment methods:
- Medications: There are several types of medication, which come in the form of pills and eye drops that can help with glaucoma. Eye drops are more common and prescribed more often, however, sometimes our optometrists may prescribes a combination of both
- Surgery: Surgery is often used to make drainage for fluid. A common surgery for this eye disease is laser peripheral iridotomy and it creates small holes in the iris to increase the movement of fluid
It is important to see our optometrists on time for proper treatment that can prevent vision loss and blindness, as the vision loss caused by glaucoma cannot be restored.
Contact us for an Appointment Today
If you have noticed any glaucoma symptoms, we recommend to visit our optometrists at Total Vision of Port Orange in Port Oranges, FL. We can perform a thorough examination of your eyes and provide you with the necessary treatment. Feel free to visit our website or give us a call at (386) 767-4449 to make an appointment. We look forward to helping you improve your eye health!